Add a Speaker to PocketC.H.I.P. in Less Than 20 Minutes

Adding a speaker to PocketC.H.I.P. is a great way to start extending its hardware. Jose, one of the NTC electrical engineers, completed the hack in about 5 minutes and got everyone in the office excited about adding a speaker to their PocketC.H.I.P.s.

Check out the full build instructions on the blog.

Help connecting Adafruit amp to PocketCHIP
PocketCHIP initial impressions; dimensions, weight, screen protector, audio with 3.5mm speaker
How would I turn PocketC.H.I.P. into a remote?
Unpopulated components - things to come?
Case mod/customisation/decoration
Case with Integrated Stylus and Kickstand
PocketCHIP stereo speakers doesn't work
CHIP Power Pins' maximum current
Case with Integrated Stylus and Kickstand
Modding CHIP and (many) other questions
Extremely Disappointing [Spoiler Alert: Happy Ending]

i need my pocket chip now :sweat_smile:

It looks great! Just what PocketCHIP was missing c: Anyway, I’ve never soldered anything in my life, not sure if I will be able to add the speaker. And, I am really ignorant when it comes to hardware, but isn’t the speaker blocking some internal pins or alike?

I literally just saw the YouTube video :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to have mine come through the letterbox!

https://youtu.be/QYNc9T3APCk

@Ramayaben the Kapton tape is covering the exposed electronics on PocketC.H.I.P… The metal rings you see near the speaker are unused solder pads from the prototyping area. This hack actually takes advantage of those unused holes, since it allows us to point the speaker at the user of the device.

Really awesome hack @bleepbloop!

This looks pretty cool to do. although considering the fact i dont think i know anyone with a soldering iron (except maybe the much bigger stuff that makes sparks everywhere) it could be a bit tricky. however at that price im a bit curious why this wasnt done in the first place.

I also wonder if it would be possible to install/create some kind of software to automaticly silence the speaker when headphones are plugged.

I’ve been thinking about adding a speaker to my PocketC.H.I.P (once it arrives), so I was happy to see this update! Just joined the forum so I could ask a few questions…

I read the tutorial and it seems muting the PocketC.H.I.P speaker with ALSAMIXER seems a touch cumbersome… Could I just install a SPST toggle switch (or pushbutton, etc.) to turn the speaker on/off?

And does this method mess up the stereo balance? Is it amplifying just one of the channels, or both combined into a mono channel? (I’m not sure how many pico-8 games actually use stereo sound, but it’s something people might want to work with, perhaps more so with Sunvox)

Also, I am wondering how well the sound projects… Would some holes drilled into the enclosure make it louder? And perhaps flip the speaker over so it projects outwards? It just seems like the sound has nowhere to go…

Awesome work, btw, and thanks for posting the tutorial!

Edit: I reread the tutorial and I am still a little bit confused… While in the ALSAMIXER part it says to mute the left channel to disable the speaker, but isn’t the speaker hooked up to the right channel? And then, while listening through headphones wouldn’t you only hear the one channel (presumably through one ear)?

For all the people without soldering irons, you can buy them at RadioShack or Walmart for around $10

Looking at alternatives for ~23mm round speaker… I just salvaged a mono speaker from a broken dualshock4. I don’t know the speaker specs but I hope the thing could be used in the speaker build. I just like recycling things on my desk.

Size comparison with a micro sd. :slight_smile:

When are we getting ours? The wait is killing me

later this month if you prepurchased it. so expect it after the 15th. :frowning:

It seems like forever waiting and seeing theyre already adding things on it. I wonder how far will this go with the hacking on pocket C.H.I.P.

I hate to be a debbie downer, but for somebody unfamiliar with soldering, this doesn’t look very beginner friendly at all. That’s a lot of solder points in a very tiny space.

I had made this thread (link below) about adding a speaker to the headphone jack and that’s still what I’ll be doing, although I do appreciate the soldering option. 3.5mm speaker for PocketCHIP

Bought 3W Amplifier for 1€ and Kapton 20mm*30m for 2,30 on ebay :smiley:

Glad I open up all these cheap postage adverts with those speakers in them :tools: :smiling_imp:

No worries, you aren’t spoiling the party at all. :slight_smile:

I’ve been astounded at the huge range of people interested in CHIP. When I backed the kickstarter last year, I would have guessed that most buyers would be “makers” (tinkerers, hackers, etc), reasonably familiar with both a soldering iron and a C compiler (I’ve since learned that most single-board computer hackers seem to prefer Python). I’ve been surprised at the number of people who would be better classified as “end users” - i.e. somebody who wants to plug it in and start using it as a general-purpose computer. And everybody in between. I, for one, feel energized at the diversity of experience, expectation, and viewpoint that people here have expressed. Variety is the spice of life!

As electronic “maker” projects go, this one does fall in the “beginner” category … maybe not a new beginner’s first project, but closer to that than “intermediate”. A good first project might be to use a solderless breadboard to connect an LED and a resistor to a GPIO port, and use a shell command to control it. Would you be interested in a walkthrough of that? After that, maybe porting that LED project to a through-hole solder prototyping board, to learn to solder. Interested? This PocketCHIP speaker might be a good project #3.

EDIT: I did create a true “beginner’s first project” walkthrough. See this wiki page.

Radioshack still exists?

Yeah, I’m confused too regarding the channel controls.

Is there a way, that the TRRS Socket on the chip can distinguish whether a headset is connected or not ? That would male the alsamixer muting step obsolete.