As some of you adviced me, I am creating my own thread for my fork of pocket home
Installing via apt-get is now possible !
Big thank to
sgentle (https://github.com/sgentle), it's now possible to use apt-get to install and upgrade !
Instructions can be found in the README on github: https://github.com/o-marshmallow/PocketCHIP-pocket-home/blob/master/README.md
Why forking the built-in pocket-home ?
In the beginning, I forked it to correct the bug of having multiple pages when you have more than 6 icons and then I started working on what I read on this forum : what people needed or what they would like to see.
Why using this instead of the built-in one ?
For the moment, this home let you have more than 6 icons on the main panel and personalize it by adding icons, deleting icons, changing the background (color or image).
I am planning adding more features (mainly when I'll get my PocketCHIP). If you have any suggestions, you can tell me
- There is now a right-click style menu for each icon (Ctrl+click to trigger it)
- Icons can be moved via the previous menu
- Icons information can now be editted via the menu
- Icons can be deleted via the menu
- New settings menu for date and time
- New settings menu for input (calibration + visible cursor)
NOTE: To be able to display a cursor, the file
/home/chip/awesome/rc.lua is modified by the installer script, a backup is created in the same folder if you want to restore it.
- JPG images are now supported in the file browsers (icon & background)
i2cget to get the charging status
i2cget to get the percentage of the battery
- Icons don't wobble under the finger anymore
- Added a delay (500ms) between click and drag for icon
- Added file browser for choosing a icon path
- IP address displayed on the homescreen, if connected
- Homescreen switching arrow are now on the left and right
- Added lockscreen after pCHIP goes sleeping
- "Sudo password" replaces "Root password"
- Battery charging icons are yellow now
- Removed trash icon for
- If an icon image path is invalid or empty, a default icon is set
- When deleting an icon, the program does not reboot anymore, it's deleted dynamically
- To delete an icon, drag and drop it to the trash icon (it will appear on the top while dragging)
- Empty pages are automatically deleted (if it doesn't have any icon on it anymore)
- Added clock near by the wifi icon (only 24-hours mode for the moment)
- Added advanced settings menu
- Added login system : you can now set a password you need to type to enter your homescreen
- Default background color is darker (when image background cannot be loaded
- Delete icon mode changed, it's a simple button now, not a switch anymore
- Absolute file path supported for icons
- Added file browser for background image
- Background mode is automatically set in settings
- No need to reboot when modifying settings (adding icons or changing background)
- Fixed invisible custom icon
- Changed the way of displaying the version in the system page (Alpha 6.1 instead of 0.0.6.1)
Normal/Delete mode in the main window
- Corrected bug which didn't allow modifying the background color/image or adding an icon
- Added build version in the shutdown menu
- MUCH EASIER INSTALLATION
Do you have some screenshots ?
Of course !
Login screen :
New home screen with time and ip:
Advanced Settings menu :
Adding/Changing the password:
Removing your password :
Is there any requirement before installing ?
Yes, there are , first update the package list. To do so, open a Terminal and type the command:
sudo apt-get update
Then, if you haven't installed
xinput-calibrator already, type:
sudo apt install xinput-calibrator
Where to download ?
Here is the installer/updater :
(If you prefer long url : https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B1jRc4IqT9kiN0pfb3FGdlJtZjA
How to install ?
You can launch the following command directly from your PocketCHIP to download the script:
wget -O install-pockethome http://bit.ly/29uWueR
Give the permissions to execute the script with :
chmod +x install-pockethome
Then you only need to execute it :
PS: I advise you to have a working ssh server on your CHIP to be able to access it from any computer "in case of"
How to update ?
The script does everything, it will automatically detect if a newer release is available. If there is, it will download and install it.
How to uninstall/return to the original home ?
First, you need to redownload the original dev package. You can get it here:
sudo dpkg -i pocket-home_0.0.5_armhf.deb
Time is not correct, how do I set the correct timezeone ?
Thanks to @Kilrah for the command :
sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
How to add an icon or change background color/image ?
Personalize screen in
No need to reboot anymore
How to make an icon execute a script ?
let's say you script is located in
/home/chip/myscript.sh, in the
Command field of the icon, specify:
vala-terminal -fs 8 -g 20 20 -e "/home/chip/myscript.sh"
How to delete an icon ?
Drag the desired icon and drop it in the trash that appears on the top of the screen
You only need to switch to
Delete mode and then click an icon, an alert window will appear then
Then switch back to normal mode to launch your icons
Why my root password is needed when adding or removing the pocket-home password ?
The pocket-home password is hashed (with sha1) and stored in:
~/.pocket-home/.passwd/passwd However, this file is owned by root (and the parent folder too). As this, even if someone has access to your pocket-home, he won't be able to delete or modify your password.
Where is the config file now ?
pocket-home won't modify or use
The new config file is located in
~/.pocket-home/config.json, however you don't need to edit this file manually. It's modified by the
Installation failed but when I launch the script it says I am up-to-date, what to do ?
This problem appears when installation failed, for example because of a wrong password for root. What you have to do is to delete the file containing your version info, use this command :
What about the other assets ?
As the images or other config files don't need to be changed, they are still located in the
What about the source code ?
You can find the source code here : https://github.com/o-marshmallow/PocketCHIP-pocket-home
Is there any bug ?
- When modifying the name of an icon (thanks to the menu), it's not updated, you need to reboot
I have a suggestion, an idea, what to do ?
You can :
- Reply here directly
- Open an issue on my github with the feature you would like to see: https://github.com/o-marshmallow/PocketCHIP-pocket-home/issues
Thanks to :
- NTC for creating this awesome computer
- @Celti who made my git cleaner to compile
- @liambeeblebrox who helped me testing and gave me the idea of theme
- @Doc who helped me testing and gave me the idea of changing the delete mode icon
- @Rhaum for the tip of using bit.ly
- @Biggy for his testing and support
- @Rhaum & @Nezra for testing the v0.0.7
- @jhnolan Giving the command making an icon executing a script
- @CometCoder For testing v0.0.8(.2)
- @CapnBry For the
i2cget commands (for battery)
- ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT !