Backorders Start Shipping April 15th & GR8 News!

Howdy C.H.I.P.sters!

It’s been an EXCITING year so far. We’ve shipped 1000s of C.H.I.P. Pro Dev Kits to companies all over the world and can’t wait to see all the C.H.I.P. powered products hit the market. In the meantime, we’ve got lot’s of GR8 news to share!

C.H.I.P. and PocketC.H.I.P. Backorders Estimated to Begin Shipping April 15th!

We cannot thank you enough for your patience here. We’re excited to get this next batch of C.H.I.P.s and PocketC.H.I.P.s into the eager hands of awaiting C.H.I.P.sters.

Due to the large number of backorders, it will take a few weeks to ship everyone’s packages. If you have a backorder, it’s in queue and will ship as soon as possible. Our shipping partner can only ship so much on a given day. If you need to update your shipping address, we recommend you do it now at track.getchip.com.

If this timeline doesn’t work for you, refunds are always available, click here for details.

The GR8 State of C.H.I.P. Pro

The response to C.H.I.P. Pro has been amazing so far. Thousands of teams are using C.H.I.P. Pro Dev Kits to design new C.H.I.P. Powered Products and dozens more are entering mass production in Q2.

Our initial run of Dev Kits is already sold out, but production is underway with new orders shipping May 2017.

If you’re planning to use Bluetooth in your C.H.I.P. Pro design, be sure to check out the latest Gadget Buildroot with the most up to date drivers - https://github.com/NextThingCo/gadget-buildroot.

Our factory flashing service is ONLINE! If you place an order for over 1000 units of C.H.I.P. Pro, we can flash them with your custom software before we ship them to your factory! Remember: please allow for a 60 day lead time on all bulk orders. For bulk orders, email sales@nextthing.co.

C.H.I.P. is Getting a GR8 Upgrade! Tell Us What You Want to Change!

Ever since we launched GR8, we’ve dreamed of upgrading C.H.I.P. to take advantage of GR8’s GR8 new features. With this production run of C.H.I.P.s already sold out, now is the perfect time to start the upgrade.

The GR8 upgrade means that C.H.I.P. and C.H.I.P. Pro will now share a large number of key components. When we designed C.H.I.P. Pro, we worked closely with our friends at Allwinner, Nanya, and Toshiba to make sure that there is a robust and reliable supply of components for C.H.I.P. Pro.

By upgrading C.H.I.P. to GR8, C.H.I.P. can take advantage of C.H.I.P. Pro’s much more stable supply chain. This means that C.H.I.P. manufacturing can happen faster and be more responsive to demand spikes that we’ve seen over the last year.

We’ve heard tons of great feature ideas from C.H.I.P.sters since the launch of C.H.I.P… Now is the time to make your voice heard! SD card slot?! Mounting holes?! What else? We’ll be monitoring this post to collect feedback as we work through the GR8 upgrade.

If you placed a backorder including C.H.I.P. before today you will receive the current R8 powered version of C.H.I.P.

Same GR8 C.H.I.P., More New Software!

We will continue to regularly update C.H.I.P.'s software during the upgrade and are committed to the long-term support of all the amazing work the C.H.I.P.ster community has done on C.H.I.P… The C.H.I.P. GR8 Upgrade will remain software compatible with C.H.I.P. and add support for all the new GR8 features.

New Flasher

If you haven’t yet, give the new and improved Flasher a try! We’ve spent 100s of hours QA’ing on Windows 7/10, OSX 10.8+ and Ubuntu 14.04+ - when your flashing is done don’t forget to give us a “STAR” rating.

Questions? Shipping Issue? Something Else?

If you have a specific shipping questions or issues, the BBS is not the fastest way to have your question answered. Please don’t hesitate to contact ahoyahoy@nextthing.co with any issues, shipping problems or concerns.

Much, much more to come!

Love,

Dave & the whole NTC Crew

CHIP availability
CHIP No Longer in Store
CHIP Version 2 - Wider Feature Set - Vote On This Poll
No CHIP in the Store, When is CHIP Shipping next?
Will/does CHIP support Google's "Android Things" OS?
3133 Pre-Orders Shipping Now!
C.H.I.P Restocking
Looking for the status of your order? Read here
PocketC.H.I.P. -On Hold-
PocketC.H.I.P. -On Hold-
CHIP Version 2 - Wider Feature Set - Vote On This Poll
Average time for the Order to arrive
POLL: Will Chip Version 2 Be A Kickstarter

Great news @elevenarms and the rest of the team. I can’t say how happy i am to hear that you are all still alive a breathing.
Not that you mention it… MOUNTING HOLES WOHOOO… That is something that i have really wanted, and i hope you can find room for that on the new CHIP

So the Slack community says:
SD card slot and USB 3.1c
And i can’t argue with that…

I squealed like a little kid when I saw this! I still am! Such GR8 news! Oh my goodness. This is great. CHIP will get an upgrade!!!

@elevenarms, just keep me in the loop so I can update CHIP_IO for the new GR8 based CHIP.

I have flashed my DevKit with gadget-buildroot and the process was super easy, the only issues I had were my own in picking packages (I took some out thinking I wouldn’t need them, but they were when I tried do so something). Great work so far on that @zerotri, @Dr.K, @computermouth, and the rest of the team.

Wishlist:

• 5V turn off after power down
    JKW

I think i just died. :grinning:!!

AIUI C.H.I.P. is currently 512MB ram, and GR8 is currently only 256MB ram. Does this mean that C.H.I.P. will effectively get downgraded to half the current ram (256MB), GR8 will get upgraded to double its current ram (512MB), or that there’ll effectively be two variants of GR8 with different ram levels.

The shipping partner needs to ship day and night lol. Not just during the day :wink:
Any other Linux distro’s support for the new flasher coming soon? Ahem, Fedora ?

Thanks for the update. We needed this. We were getting near a boiling point :wink:

On the one hand, that would be great. On the other hand, it’s a great feature to be able to run things even when the CHIP is powered down (i.e. a microprocessor that turns your CHIP on once a day). So, yes a 5V line that turns off would be nice, but I wouldn’t want to have it at the price of losing all lines that do stay on.

I think an sd card slot would be great

If I order PocketCHIP now, will it get G8 or GR8 C.H.I.P. version ???

The R8 version. They haven’t made the GR8 version yet.

@marmaladder SD card would be cool, but wouldn’t it slow down the transfer speeds? And I think 4 GB is great already for our purposes. I have never even come close to running out of room.

Hi!

I hope mini wifi antenna small contuct and switch(or something like taht) would be on the board to replace default/onboard anntena to pass the regulations (i.e. GITEKI in japan.).

As you know, rtl8723bs itself has passed regulations in many countries already with hundreds of antennas [described in the test reports, mentioned herein:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/computestick/STCK1xFC-Radio-Freq-Japan.pdf Page2 :

Sporton: JR431858A[A-D] Apr, 24 2014 (document includes - Anntena list.)

If the chip with gr8 would pass the regulations, more will be oredered, I guess.

Regards and cheers!! (^.^)/

Well this is great news, I hope they you guys have more to show with regards to chip firmware soon.

Also hope I can get my hands on a new GR8 chip early to show off in some videos :slight_smile:

I was thinking more along the lines of possiblity being able to boot from the SD cards. Even without being able to do that I just think removable memory is a nice feature.

How 'bout expandable memory? Like, you can use it or leave it alone?

Oops, yeah that’s what I was getting at. I definitely wouldn’t want to get rid of the existing flash memory .

Neither would I. The only thing; SD card reader might make CHIP a bit bigger. I like the size it is now.

Maybe a SD card dip? I would definitely buy one of those.