Best emulator solution?

One of the selling points of CHIP was that it could be used as a cheap retroconsole emulator. But unfortunately I’m having a hard time finding good SNES emulators. ZNES isn’t available for ARM processors and snes9x is not in the repos so I’d have to build it myself.

I see a few guides on how to build snes9x for a Raspberry Pi, which I assume is similar enough to the CHIP, but I have little experience in compiling and am not sure how to proceed.

Is anybody else working on a similar project? Retroconsoles seem like the best use of the built in composite output’s painfully low resolution.

Chip arcade cabinet

@NinjaKun

mednafen is probably the most well used emulator out there, and it has a arm port.

Cheerio
Rikard

Not working. This is what I get when I try to run it from a terminal in X.

chip@chip:~/roms$ mednafen Samurai\ Shodown\ \(USA\).sfc 
Starting Mednafen 0.9.36.4
 Build information:
   Compiled with gcc 4.9.1
   Compiled against zlib 1.2.8, running with zlib 1.2.8
   Compiled against SDL 1.2.15, running with SDL 1.2.15
   Running with libsndfile-1.0.25
   Compiled against libcdio 0.83 arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf, running with libcdio 0.83 arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf
 Base directory: /home/chip/.mednafen
 Internal emulation modules: nes snes gb gba pce pce_fast lynx md pcfx ngp psx vb wswan sms gg cdplay demo
 External emulation modules: 
 Loading settings from "/home/chip/.mednafen/mednafen-09x.cfg"...Failed: Error opening file "/home/chip/.mednafen/mednafen-09x.cfg": No such file or directory
 Initializing joysticks...
 Loading Samurai Shodown (USA).sfc...
  Applying IPS file "./Samurai Shodown (USA).sfc.ips"...
   Failed: Error opening file "./Samurai Shodown (USA).sfc.ips": No such file or directory
  Using module: snes(Super Nintendo Entertainment System/Super Famicom)

Loading custom palette from "/home/chip/.mednafen/palettes/snes.pal"...
    Error: Error opening file "/home/chip/.mednafen/palettes/snes.pal": No such file or directory

Loading cheats from /home/chip/.mednafen/cheats/snes.cht...
   Error opening file "/home/chip/.mednafen/cheats/snes.cht": No such file or directory

Initializing sound...
  Using "ALSA" audio driver with SexyAL's default device selection.
   Bits: 16
   Rate: 48000
   Channels: 2
   Byte order: CPU Native
   Buffer size: 1536 sample frames(32.000000 ms)
   Latency: 1536 sample frames(32.000000 ms)
   Period size: 64 sample frames(1.333333 ms)
 Initializing video...
  Video Driver: OpenGL
  Video Mode: 768 x 672 x 32 bpp
   Pixel shader: none
  Fullscreen: No
  Special Scaler: None
  Scanlines: Off
  Destination Rectangle: X=0, Y=0, W=768, H=672
  OpenGL Implementation: Mesa Project Software Rasterizer 2.1 Mesa 10.3.2
  Checking extensions:
   GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two found.
   GL_ARB_sync found.
  Using non-power-of-2 sized textures.
  Checking maximum texture size...
   Apparently it is at least: 16384 x 16384
  Using GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE for texture source data.
***  ***: mednafen terminated

Signal has been caught and dealt with: SIGABRT
Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail?
chip@chip:~/roms$ 

If I run it from a TTY I get a shorter error.

chip@chip:~/roms$ mednafen Wild\ Guns\ \(USA\).sfc
Starting Mednafen 0.9.36.4
     Build information:
       Compiled with gcc 4.9.1
       Compiled against zlib 1.2.8, running with zlib 1.2.8
       Compiled against SDL 1.2.15, running with SDL 1.2.15
       Running with libsndfile-1.0.25
       Compiled against libcdio 0.83 arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf, running with libcdio 0.83 arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf
     Base directory: /home/chip/.mednafen
Could not initialize SDL: Unable to open mouse
Error opening file "": no such file or directory

@NinjaKun

Quite strange, the only errors shown is for some missing customization files (it should work without them).

I’m wondering about the video mode resolution thou. You should probarly not go higher than 720x576 with composite video. You can change the resolution (in ~/.mednafen/mednafen-09x.cfg) with

snes.xres 720
snes.yres 576

But I doubt that is the problem here.

Cheerio
Rikard

CHIP seems locked at 800x600 for me.

I was able to get able to get Mednafen installed by using synaptec. I was then able to launch the GBA version of final fantasy1/2 but its running extremely slow, so slow that theres a noticeable delay between when I push a button and get a response.Also the image is blown up so i can only see the top 3/4 of the screen so I cant see the button reconfiguration prompt at the bottom when I call on it. Im going to keep messing around with it to see if I can work something out but has anyone had any success fully running any type of game emulation on the Chip? I was really looking forward to setting my chip up as SNes/GBA emulation station but if it not possible I’d like to know and move on to focusing on making another project with it.

I was able to get Mednafen installed after updating my distro database in Synaptic.

The problem I’m having is getting it to open games at all. I can’t get them to run. I’ve made it so that double clicking on the SNES rom should launch Mednafen and the game… but it doesn’t. It flashes for a second and then goes away. The window never comes up, but the tray icon does for half a second.

Anyone had any luck?

I have the same issue @polodon . It has been a while since I looked at it, but the error seemed to be related to the SDL.

Hey guys, do you believe something like this https://hackaday.io/project/10207-gamegirl-the-retro-console-done-right could be implemented in the future for Pocket C.H.I.P. ? It runs in a weaker hardware and since it’s essentially Retroarch, that means we could have a lot of emulators/engines to play with. In my case I have been using Retroarch since its first release through my soft-modded Gamecube and I have been able to play things like CPS1/CPS2, NXEngine, etc., that were not possible before, besides of course the NES, SNES, GB, SEGA, etc.,emulators that we previously have in stand alone versions for the console. Considering the Gamecube is the older and less powerful console they support (“Level 0” as they call it), I’m curious about what they could do with the C.H.I.P. :smiley: .

Did you get this to work?
I am trying to run Frogger (snes version) and get exactly the same error messages?

I can’t even get it to install.

I was getting an error that the package could not be found, I had to run

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install medafen 

the default password for the super user is ‘chip’ (without the quotes of course).

Here is another how to that might be worth to follow:

Pocket installer
Retroarch
Snes9x2010 core

Snes glory abounds

Do you know if it will work on a Chip with only the built-in composite?

Yes. I tried it and it looks so retro a thousand hipsters cry out in joy and suddenly fall silent as they die from elation.

I flashed my Chip with 4.4 Desktop and installed PocketInstaller but when I try to run it, it crashes due to a missing GTK folder. I’m guessing I need to install a different DM

Run it from the command line, it crashed on me until I did it that way.

Yeah that’s what I’m doing but it still fails after the GUI comes up and click on the Install button. It complains about a theme folder missing and then kills the process. I’m thinking the non DIP desktop OS must be missing something. I might just try installing Retroarch by itself and see if that works.

Never mind, I’m a numpty. I was skipping a step.

The theme missing is something I have looked into, and I can’t find a solution. It works fine without it.