C.H.I.P. Shipping Update & Three New Additions to the C.H.I.P. Family

Howdy C.H.I.P.sters!

First an update on C.H.I.P. pre-orders. C.H.I.P.s are starting to come off the production line this week!

Over the next two and a half weeks, they’ll be tested, packaged, and prepared for shipment.

Confirmed C.H.I.P. pre-orders placed on or before September 15th are estimated to ship between October 25th and November 3rd.

We can’t wait for you to get your hands on your C.H.I.P.s. If you have issues with your order don’t hesitate to contact us at ahoyahoy@nextthing.co.

Our manufacturing and logistics teams have been solely focused on getting C.H.I.P. production ramped up to make sure you get your C.H.I.P.s posthaste. Across the garage in a dimly lit section of the electronics lab, Gus and the NTC R&D crew have been hard at work.

Today we’re enormously excited to announce to three new additions to the C.H.I.P. family: GR8, C.H.I.P. Pro & Gadget - See them all here! - https://getchip.com/pages/chippro

GR8

The first NTC designed microchip, GR8 is a 14mm x 14mm System-in-Package (SiP) developed in collaboration with Allwinner. The SiP combines C.H.I.P.'s beloved R8 System-on-Chip (SoC) with 256MB of DDR3 memory from Nanya. GR8 is 100% compatible with the hundreds of thousands of R8s already used in C.H.I.P. and includes many new peripherals the C.H.I.P.ster community has been asking for.

Since it’s a C.H.I.P. chip, GR8 has open access NDA-free datasheets, the same awesome Mainline Linux support as C.H.I.P., and one simple price no matter how many units you buy. GR8 is $6 and includes an AXP-209 intelligent power management unit. GR8 will be available in any quantity in December 2016 without restriction from 1 to 1MM+ units.

Get the datasheet now on Github - https://github.com/NextThingCo/CHIP_Pro-Hardware/tree/master/Datasheets

C.H.I.P. Pro

A tiny GR8 powered computer designed and optimized for embedding in projects, prototypes, and products. Since C.H.I.P. launched, we’ve received thousands of requests from all over the world to buy huge quantities of C.H.I.P.s. Requests have come from nearby hackerspaces to multinational enterprises—they all wanted C.H.I.P. in quantities from 500 to 250,000 units.

We always intended for C.H.I.P. to be used to prototype computer powered products, but we quickly realized our beloved C.H.I.P. wasn’t always the best fit. Many of the design choices we made that make C.H.I.P. awesome to use, make it hard to build into products. C.H.I.P. Pro addresses these issues, implements feature requests from the community, and is engineered to embed in products. C.H.I.P. and C.H.I.P. Pro are similar in many important ways, but different where it counts when the demands of products are paramount.

• Industrial Grade —512MB SLC NAND
  • Updated Realtek WiFi / BT chipset with B/G/N & BT 4.2
  • Digital Audio / Support for SD Cards via pins
  • USB Breakout for PCB Designs incorporating USB based peripherals
  • Breadboard and SMT Placeable
  • A complete suite of certifications: WiFi Alliance, Bluetooth Consortium, FCC, CE, ROHS
  • Based on GR8 making it 76% smaller than C.H.I.P.
  • Better power consumption with ~3mA suspend to RAM
  • And much, much more…

It’s all covered in the datasheets, which are completely open and available now here - https://github.com/NextThingCo/CHIP_Pro-Hardware/tree/master/Datasheets

C.H.I.P. Pro follows in C.H.I.P.’s footsteps and is a completely open source design—schematic, layout, BOM, and datasheets. CHIP Pro is $16 and will be available in any quantity from 1 to 1MM+. C.H.I.P. Pro will be available in volume December 2016 and Dev Kits are on sale today for $49 shipping in December 2016.

Gadget

An Open Source Linux-based OS, software toolchain, and cloud infrastructure to build C.H.I.P. Pro & GR8 powered projects, prototypes, and products. Gadget is the culmination of years prototyping and manufacturing Linux powered products.

Gadget is designed to bring the speed, openness, and productivity of modern software development to the world of embedded hardware. Gadget is based on the same tools we built to design, test, flash, and update C.H.I.P. We’re super-excited to get Gadget into the hands of C.H.I.P.sters. We’ll be inviting C.H.I.P.sters of all flavors from Pocketeer to Kernel Hacker to start playing with Gadget soon. As with anything C.H.I.P., Gadget is a team effort and we’re all itching to get the CHIPster community involved. Keep an eye out, many more details coming soon.

We’re posting this here first so every C.H.I.P.ster gets the scoop first. More details and C.H.I.P. Pro Dev Kits are available on the C.H.I.P. Pro page - https://getchip.com/pages/chippro

Once you’ve browsed the datasheets, there’s a new forum category to talk all things C.H.I.P. Pro, GR8 and Gadget - https://bbs.nextthing.co/c/CHIP-Pro

Everyday we explore the forums and everyday we are amazed by the projects, PocketC.H.I.P. mods, kernel hacks, and most of all YOU our mighty C.H.I.P.sters! It’s been incredible to see the community grow so quickly and still remain the fun, helpful, and thoughtful place we all hoped it would be. We can’t thank you all enough for your support.

Much, much more to come! But first, a nap.

Love,

Dave & the whole NTC Crew

C.H.I.P vs C.H.I.P Pro
What happens if I confirm my address too late?
For the mortals
\(•◡•)/ First Post!
Help on the GR8

More toys! And, it’s nice to see what you’ve been up to.

whoo hoo more stuff I can play with! though it would have been cool if we could have gotten greater than 512mb ram but I’m a crazy ram hog :smiley: Good job NTC!

edit: Also I am so down to play around with Gadget sounds super awesome.

Amazing! i can’t wat to try 'em Armv7-A…

Wonderful! Congrats. :blush::tada:

Looks pretty neat. So there are fewer pins than CHIP?

Reduced power requirements and smaller size while keeping the same specs could open up some interesting project possibilities.

Can someone please eli5 ‘Chip Pro’ ?

A cousin of the CHIP we all know tailored to be used as the brains of different devices like a robot or you smart toaster. Smaller form factor, improved connectivity and, though smaller, more reliable onboard storage.

Wow, awesome, incredible, fantastic, unbelievable … (add all other superlatives).

With all that great new stuff developed and getting C.H.I.P.s shipped out, you guys deserve a nap (or even better a long vacation).

Very cool! I’m looking forward to my pile of CHIPs arriving soon and I’m about to order the new gear!

The docs say that CHIP Pro is surface mountable. Dumb question: how does that work with components on both sides? A big cut-out?

I was wondering that too.

I can’t wait to get my hands on a chip pro and I am definitely excited about you guys releasing software. Keep up the good work I can’t wait to see what NTC has in store for the future

Does anyone still care about us outside the US and a handful of other “lucky” countries? Sorry, but releasing new products means absolutely nothing (NOTHING) to us, if we can’t get them. Especially if we can’t even get your older products.

So all this stuff is DIP incompatible? Strange, Raspberry Pi learned very early that maintaining backward “hat” compatibility is very valuable.

How long will the $9 chip be available and when will quantities be available?

Steve

I am just guessing but I would assume you can use the DIP in the debug board as the size looks close. I think that is missing the point of the Pro. What they are going for here is not to have these used as project boards for one-off projects so much as dev boards for production runs of actual boards. You can just buy the G8 SIP or if you wish to leave more of the work in the hands of NTC you can buy more pros and just drop them into the finished product.

The Pro and CHIP have two unique use cases.

i think chip pro is less of a chip but more of like a completely different type of chip and purposely made to not be identical and when they make something like a chip 2 it will keep header compatibility i would assume

Feeling a bit of retained anger, I can’t help but say…
It’s all good and well announcing a new product alongside the update of shipping but shouldn’t your concern lie within getting your customers products delivered in the first place? Ordered on the end of may this year and have JUST got the email the other day telling me that my C.H.I.P is about to leave the factory. Yet to be updated on the status of my order (i.e tracking information or actual shipping alert). At this point i am slightly unprepared because I had anticipated that my order was arriving earlier but hadn’t because NTC can’t have a secondary focus over managing parts stocking and NAND support, which, in the event of a shortage in supply, a second and third solution should have been prepared. I have my battery but I’m yet to get it soldered up ready for use.

On a more positive note:
Good on NTC for finally moving forward and continuing to find the time to innovate while getting up on their many legged operation. Working in such an industry is a very hard place and unless you have an understanding in the demand for what you are trying to find and target a solution for, you’re just (for lack of better vocabulary), P***ing in the wind. Hopefully my parents get my CHIP, and upon delivery to the address I had entered at the time of purchase, it will arrive in my hands within the following 24 hours.

Onto the build involving C.H.I.P:
I’ve decided to focus on a three stage power supply and portable TRRS display setup.
I’ve got the opportunity to utilise an old iPod classic video display, and, if the dock connector pins are powerful enough to run chip, I should be able to run on another battery for main power in the event of a powercut, as well as rely on the main charging supply for the TRRS display setup. I estimate it should be 5v 1A but that is me being hopeful. The display is quite old so I’m taking a shot in the dark with the whole thing.

Will we be able to use Gadget with the CHIP?

Dave, site says that Pro CHIP price is 6$ but in part of page where you can select quantity (up to 1 000 000) it says that price is 16$. Where truth? I think 6$ is real price.