Case mod/customisation/decoration

What about a simple off the shelf micro speaker (like the one found in Teenage Engineering’s Pocket Operator series) that can be soldered onto the “prototyping area” on the back of the pocketCHIP? That would be a simple and quick mod I’d perform in a heartbeat!

Anyone know if any of those solder points are capable of carrying a sound signal, and what that would entail on the coding side of things to implement?.. Would you still be able to use your CHIP’s TRRS jack to plug in a pair of headphones and use them play sound if you mod your pocketCHIP in such a way?

@albill that looks great, definitely keep us updated :smiley:

Another piece of hardware that I need. Ach. Kickstarter here I come again.

Another angle is to make a Sandbenders style case.

From the novel Idoru by William Gibson.

Sandbenders:
A highly customized computer system; the opposite of a box from Gateway or Dell.

Gibson’s characters, the ones who are most interesting, always express themselves with interesting artifacts. The Sandbenders are a colony in Oregon; they make one-of-a-kind artifacts that are exactly the opposite of the computers to which we’re all accustomed.

“I like your computer,” she said. “It looks like it was made by Indians or something.”

Chia looked down at her sandbenders. Turned off the red switch. “Coral,” she said. “These are turquoise. The ones that look like ivory are the inside of a kind of nut. Renewable.”

“The rest is silver?”

“Aluminum,” Chia said. “They melt old cans they dig up on the beach cast it in sand molds. These panels are micarta. That’s linen with this resin in it.”

From Idoru, by William Gibson.
Published by Putnam in 1996

I plan on making a forge for lost-foam casting, I even have a couple of canisters ready to crack open for the main body… maybe I could sculpt one in foam and cast it, just like it was described in Idoru :slight_smile:

@albill Would love to have that file!

Another thought: wouldn’t it be nice to have a latex sheath for the PocketCHIP, so you could … to some extent … waterproof it?

You can brush on latex (or silicone), and build it up in layers, even colour it easily. Just make a PocketCHIP shaped form out of clay to use as a template, and take it from there :slight_smile:

A harder route, would be to make the PocketCHIP sculpture and create a mold, to slush-cast (and feasibly mass produce) latex or silicone inside to create a really neat sheath.

I have clay and latex… just no PocketCHIP to use as reference, yet :wink:

It is Next Thing Co’s and it is up on Github.

What about using Sugru? I have used Sugru for loads of projects and you could make a very decent case out of it.

How to mild precise rubber parts using Sugru

Sugru would be good to create ‘bumpers’ for the corners and that kind of thing, I’m not sure how it would hold up as a full cover (not to mention how expensive it is for even a small amount).

I haven’t used it myself on anything major as I heard it deteriorates quite fast or can be prone to cracking when used as a thick layer. I wouldn’t want ‘bits’ getting into my PocketCHIP :sweat_smile:

I could be wrong though, maybe it’s the wonder product it’s touted as, I only have word of mouth to go by :horse:

What you heard is somewhat correct; it can crack if flexed and you would want to reinforce it or build it up into sections or layers. Done well, that could work really nicely.

Would anybody be able to help develop and 3D print my case for me that would case a chip battery, chip case (more like cpu shield lol), hdmi adapter and chip itself with a hole to fit a momentary button switch as a power on button? Could pay for materials (electricity, time, material). The c4 labs case wont cut it for me so i need something in black that will case the workings of chip. Hit me up if you can. Admin remove if not allowed. I just want to get my contacts in line to build up chip. So we’re all ready.

I guess it’s always worth a try. I may have to pick up a sample pack to experiment with :slight_smile:

If I were going that route I’d go copper and steam pinky and add a mini vaporizer e cig and air pump to make it puff steam

Edit I can see it now someone is going to make the steam chip with a vaporizer and add a vibration device from an old cell phone that runs faster based on how much the cpu is in use and perhaps a speaker so it can woo woooooooOh ever few minutes. And all out of cast iron and copper

There was a…wait…
This:

This is a, overpriced :smiley: , Lian Li computer case. We can simply use an old H0 (or S) steam engine. A few of them already have a build in vaporizer. Put your power supply in the tender, buy yourself a few old rails and you’ve got a…well…working LokoChip? :slight_smile:

I was thinking of something in the range of c’n’c routing some nice hardwood into a case with the keys covered by a set of wooden keys. Not sure how well it would work, depends on how I could fit the keys’ covering pieces around the other keys and such. I’ll need to take a long look at the design of the case and everything first.

Edit; Is there an actual drafting of the full Pocket Chip, including the keyboard and everything? I saw the print files for the case, but was hoping for the rest of it too.

dear chipsters:
I would love and happy would buy a silicone case that fits perfectly with my pocket chip, similar to the silicone from my PO-20 Arcade. the place of the screen would be like and battery by staying behind too, and of course the chip with its cover. would have an incredible look.
not to mention comfort.
I understand that it would not be cheap but I think chip as well as chip pocket have multiple customer profiles. and no doubt many would be interested ACCESSORIES shop more complete than we already have.
It is simply an idea.

@xTHETRINCHOx This would be great to fit neatly over the keyboard area. I wonder how easy it would be to produce a similar piece specific to the PocketCHIP at home?

@Dkrasner A wooden case has soo many possibilities, once a template is made they could be customised as you need and (for those without a CNC) ordered from places like Ponoko and made in to a huge number of materials. Designs can even be made in SketchUp :slight_smile:

If the keys were made like little tabs, you would only need a slight pressure to click the existing buttons and the whole front could be a singular panel. I guess strength may be an issue though. If I were on my Surface, I’d draw a little picture to demonstrate what I mean lol.

@BreakingMyself, I was thinking something in that line, with the keys being separate to the cover so that you could just press it the existing keys through the cover. It would also mean that individual keys could be replaced easily, but this assumes I can get details I need for the design.

I’ve had one of these since they came out. I think they were about the same price as a CHIP and a few LED.