Customize the Hell Out of Your PocketC.H.I.P. — Install Doom & Give It an Icon on the Home Screen

Thanks to forum user @marshmallow’s work, it’s easy to modify the PocketC.H.I.P. home screen and add custom content.

In the latest blog post, learn how to install @marshmallow’s software and install Doom with a custom icon.

Happy hacking!

A few questions about the Pocket Chip power

Those directions do not work for me:
chip@chip:~$ ./install-pockethome
Downloading new package link
–2016-07-12 15:39:15-- https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B1jRc4IqT9kiSVVIOE8wd2w4Zkk
Resolving drive.google.com (drive.google.com)… 172.217.4.78, 2607:f8b0:4006:806::200e
Connecting to drive.google.com (drive.google.com)|172.217.4.78|:443… connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 400 Bad Request
2016-07-12 15:39:15 ERROR 400: Bad Request.

Checking if new version is available
./install-pockethome: line 6: gt: command not found
./install-pockethome: line 6: /tmp/version: No such file or directory
./install-pockethome: line 7: gt: command not found
./install-pockethome: line 7: /tmp/link: No such file or directory
./install-pockethome: line 8: syntax error near unexpected token ;&' ./install-pockethome: line 8:(diff /tmp/version ~/.pocket-home/.version && echo ‘Already up-to-date.’) || ’

However, the directions directly from the author’s post do work:

Thanks for letting me know @emdkay. I’ve changed the step and verified that it works.

Best I can tell, there was something funky going on with the syntax highlighting plugin introducing weird characters to the copied text. Unfortunately, when I wrote the project, I didn’t catch the problem, since I had copied the script from the website to a notepad on my laptop, and then to the SSH session.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for alerting me!

Shouldn’t this be “Customize the hell into your PocketCHIP”?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Actually, I would have said "Customize the sht out of your PocketCHIP." Because we certainly don’t want any sht left in there. Yuk.

But then isn’t the implication that NTC shipped us sh*t…
I don’t think we want that either. :grin:

Hey, I’ve picked up a whole lot more sh*t just getting through life then I ever had when I was manufactured.

Guys …

I was making a Doom joke.

:grimacing:

Here is a video tutorial

Newbie question.
Is it possible to run *.sh from an icon?
I tried putting ./*hhgg.sh and it didn’t work, but it does work from the command line.
I put this on where you type in the command. Doom, SCUMMVM and Vice all work but not *.sh files.

When you are in the terminal and you write ./hhgg.sh, ./ means “current folder”. So I guess you are in the default folder (/home/chip) when you type this. So in the command field of an icon, you should type /home/chip/hhgg.sh :wink:

That makes a lot of sense. I’ll try it later tonight.
Thank you.

I tried putting /home/chip/hhgg.sh and it didn’t work.
When I tap the icon, I get the spinning icon for a few seconds and then nothing.
I tried with a couple of the .sh files I have and I get the same result for each.
I double checked my spelling and path and tried a few different times.
I know I must be missing something really obvious.
I have done the sudo +x chmod /home/chip/hhgg.sh

Is it a terminal application? In other words, would it work for you to launch it inside the terminal app?

I created an icon for the rainbowstream twitter app by adding “-e rainbowstream” to a copy of the vala-terminal command.

Can you try @jhnolan 's solution ?
In the command field, type :
vala-terminal -fs 8 -g 20 20 -e "/home/chip/hhgg.sh"

That works.
I tried two different .sh files and both will now execute.
Thank you.

Your video tutorial really helped me i wish there were more thank’s