Hacking the PocketCHIP case to add "GameBoy-like" buttons

Version 2:

I borrowed the buttons from here http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1496185/#files and used them to hollow out right spaces. Something is off in the tolerances though, as I couldn’t get them to fit very well even after widening the holes with a file, so I grabbed some mold-making material (essentially fast setting rubber) and stuck it in the holes. The result works reasonably well, although you have to press kind of hard.

Great ideas! I’ve been working on a 3D printable prototype that you can just snap on to get a d-pad. It pretty much works by sitting on top of the snapdomes, but needs some tweaking. Hopefully I can post the STL files soon if you want to print your own.

The d-pad is a separate piece that sits on top of the snapdomes. The center bearing is slightly lower then the rest, so the outer four rest slightly above the domes.

Yes, please do provide the STLs. I hadn’t thought to attach anything to the screen’s bezel, though I was thinking about doing something similar to your d-pad once I figure out how to scale buttons correctly for the holes.

These are really good ideas, but for me, if I’m going to use the Pocket CHIP case, I may do something similar to what @Joxua_345 pic he posted. Mostly to cut back on wear and tear on the keypad. Would have to be USB.

I need to save up for a 3D printer sometime and just make a case from scratch. Speaking of which, I wonder if I can use my Cinema 4D Studio with one. hmm.

@andrewhavens, what ROM files and emulator are you using?

@Levi5885 I followed the directions in this post to set up mednafen: Mednafen (Emulator) configuration (GBC/GBA/SNES/NES)

Amazing, please post files! This could serve as a perfect base for a keypad snap-on …

I wish I had some time to contribute to this project but hopefully soon I will be able to do some editing. I have a bad thumb on my dominate hand so using the Pocket Chip for long periods leaves me pretty achey. Hopefully actual buttons will fix that.

How hard was it to configure it? I’ve got one similar and I doubt my zero will be easy to set up

Man. I would buy this in a heartbeat, if these were sold.

How hard was it to configure my iBuffalo controller? Surprisingly, it required absolutely no configuration. I previously tried using it with my Mac and couldn’t get it to work, but it worked immediately with my PocketCHIP. I did run the mednafen controller set up just to be sure it was configured correctly, but that was super easy.

My d-pad mod is now online and available to be 3D printed. No soldering, printed supports, or glue required!

If you would like to submit and improvements for me to make, please do so here:

Enjoy!

I really want this.

This is a silly question… but as someone who’s never done anything around 3D printing before… can you point me down roughly the right path to what would be needed to create this? (Specific kind of 3D printer, what software, etc?)

Any 3D printer should work, and using open source software like Repetier to generate the g-code the printer needs to know what to do.

Alternatively, if you don’t have a 3D printer, you can order custom prints from companies like Shapeways at reasonable prices.

That is really awesome! I’m going to see how much my local library will charge to print this cover. I have no experience making 3D models, but if I were to make a change, it would be to add buttons to the 0 & = buttons specifically for Pico-8 games.

That’s a great idea. It gets me wondering what it would look like to have a version of this with buttons for all keys, to turn it into a little clicky-button keyboard.

Beautiful work @telarium! I’ll be printing this later today. I also ordered small 5-way switch that I plan to make into a second d-pad for mouse movement, and I might “borrow” your design in my attempts to add it to the PocketCHIP, if you don’t mind!

Hey, I’m new to modding anything and wondered how you got Pokemon to work on the pocket chip, I would like to set it up on mine too. Any help would be great. Thanks

@laughyboy Follow the directions to set up mednafen: Mednafen (Emulator) configuration (GBC/GBA/SNES/NES), then search Google for a “pokemon rom” or “pocket monsters rom”.