Is PocketCHIP ready to be played right out of box?

hello. i bought the PocketCHIP and assumed it comes ready to play with over 1000 games. is this true? i am not very tech savy as far as coding etc and while i am open to learn does this come with a pretty hi learning curve? did i jus buy a joystick and screen or does it come with all parts needed. thanks

Pico-8 is installed out of the box and it launches in “splore” mode, which is a browser to select all the games that have been posted to the pico-8 forum. I think a few are pre downloaded but I can’t remember exactly. At any rate the first thing you see is a game selector.

No, it’s not.

Yes, it’s (more or less) ready to be used out-of-the-box. There’s also a program installed with which you can play (and easily install) games made for that program with. It does not come with thousands of games.

It’s true that the PocketCHIP is more of a tech toy than a console. However, it’s also a full-blown linux computer. This means that the possibilities are close to limitless. There are easy things you can do (e.g. install the improved PocketHome version made by a forum member), somewhat more advanced (install an emulator by looking at how others they posted they did the same thing on the forum) and hard things (try and run some complicated software yourself by tweaking the configuration till it works). Even if you just look at programming there are easier things to do and much harder things, in easier and harder environments. As long as you’re willing to learn, there should be something there for you.

Let’s take it from the top.

The PocketCHIP does come with Pico-8 installed.
Pico-8 is a “game launcher” for games made in the “Pico-8 programming language” (lua), and there is over 1000 games to choose from.

There is also a big bunch of games you can install on the device itself, like Quake III and Minecraft

For what @Jasper said.
It will be a little more easy to mess around with the device if you install Marshmallow Pocket Home(made by @marshmallow. You can read more about that Here!

As for Emulators. There is a bunch of different emulators you can install to play all your favorite retro games. The easiest way to install some of them and Marshmallow Pocket Home is by using the Pocket Installer made by @Iker and @Dmian

If you want to read up on how to start out on the PocketCHIP you can read this 10 Things the new PocketCHIP owners should know by @StevenCombs

I hope this answers some of your questions.

@tonightwetaco

I think you may have misunderstood that it can play over 1000s of games; It does not come with over 1000s of games.

The PocketCHIP is ready to use out of the box, as there is an Operating System (Linux) installed.

1. PICO-8: Code. Build. Play. Change the game. (LUA programming language)
    You can learn about PICO-8 by going to the Lexaloffle website.
    There are only a few games that come along with the PICO-8/PocketCHIP.
    However. Setting up and playing the thousands of PICO-8 games is not hard to do as long as you have internet access.

2. Emulation: Gameboy/Color/Advance. Playstation 1. Sega 16-bit. etc… (Retro gaming)
    A search of this forum will provide you with detailed instructions on how to install emulators.
    Piracy of copyrighted materials is not condoned so don’t ask about game ROMs and ISO downloading sites.

3. Terminal:
    Get ready to learn Linux and be prepared for using a terminal window a lot.

4. Search the Forum:
    Before asking questions do a search first. Chances are there are others that have had the same questions you have and they are going to be answered here.
    Don’t be afraid to ask questions in an older post as long as it’s still on-topic.

Final notes:
If you bought PocketCHIP strictly for gaming then I don’t think you are going to be pleased with it’s buttons as they are not entirely comfortable when constantly in use.
However there are 3D-printed case modifications one can purchase or make that will help ease the use.
So just search the forums for them.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT PEEL OFF PROTECTIVE CLEAR PLASTIC THAT COVERS THE KEYBOARD PORTION OF THE POCKETCHIP Doing so will cause all of the keys to fall off; making the Pocket portion of the PocketCHIP useless.

Thanks for the plug @AllGray!

thanks for the info and suppport.