Light Up Your PocketC.H.I.P. Cyberpunk Style

Cyberpunk Your Summer by learning how to build your own El Wire & LED PocketC.H.I.P. with @o_blivion’s latest blog post.

Special thanks to @5t4rw1nd for posting the original EL Wire PocketC.H.I.P. in the forum and inspiring us to make our own!

Do you have a cyberpunk project of your own? Make sure to share it in the forum thread below. Who knows, your project might just inspire us like @5t4rw1nd’s. Happy modding!

David

The detailed guide for this (surprisingly involved) cool little hack is appreciated as usual.

I just wish there was an easier way to adjust it without having to use a screwdriver. I don’t always want my hipsterism to be quite so blinding. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Beyond that, turning down the lights helps from further draining the Chip’s admittedly rather spotty battery.

Also, I wouldn’t want to bring this thing through airport security!

With a name like bombenhagel you wouldn’t want to carry a box full of wires through airport security? At least they didn’t put a lump of Play-Doh in there too.

Seeing this has given me renewed determination to actually make progress on my WS2812 RGB LED Pocket CHIP project. Original plan was to use a 3.3V/8MHz Arduino Pro Mini in the back of the Pocket CHIP that could be programmed direct from the CHIP (which has 3.3V logic) but it turns out that making the 5V logic WS2812 work with a 3.3V logic Arduino has issues & the header at the top of the Pocket CHIP doesn’t actually expose the connections you need to program the Arduino directly anyway.

I think what I’m going to do now is have either a 5V/16MHz Arduino Pro Mini or an Arduino Nano in the back of the case to control the LEDs, then have a couple of GPIO pins connected between the Arduino & the CHIP via the header at the top of the Pocket CHIP to toggle different patterns. Still a very overcomplicated way of doing it, but that’s half the fun :slight_smile:

I got started last night by working out how to get an Arduino to read the state of the Pocket CHIP’s GPIO pins - had an issue with reliability until I remembered I’d need to tie the 5V & GND rails of the two devices together & then it worked fine :slight_smile: