Make the Debian GUI smaller

It was one of the things I would have thought that changing the DPI would may have remedied, as that would shrink down all elements for a smaller display while retaining the resolution. I’ve been poking at the xorg.conf in /etc/X11/, here’s the contents for xorg.conf.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "VGA"
        Option          "PreferredMode" "1024x768_60.00"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "HDMI"
        Option          "PreferredMode" "1280x720_60.00"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Composite"
        Option          "PreferredMode" "NTSC10"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Allwinner sun4i DRM"
        Option          "Monitor-Composite-0"   "Composite"
        Option          "Monitor-VGA-0"         "VGA"
        Option          "Monitor-HDMI-A-0"      "HDMI"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen0"
        Device          "Card0"
EndSection

So, there is stuff inside that is relevant to the CHIP. However, there is nothing for the PocketCHIP and its screen.
I’ll see about flashing later to PocketCHIP, unless someone wants to upload what is written inside.

I was thinking that you might be able to manually input the device and monitor into the xorg.conf, however that did not go over well.

Under ‘Section “Device”’ I added

and making its own section…

Section "Monitor" <tab>Identifier<tab>"None" <tab>Option<tabtab>"PreferredMode" "480x272_60.00" EndSection

Unfortunately, this yielded no results. :c Hopefully either I or someone can dump the xorg.conf from the PocketCHIP OS (And possibly the driver, located : /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ I saw two. fbdev_drv.so (15.1 kB) and modesetting_drv.so (27.4 kB)).

Any chance chip uses something like Notro’s frame buffer hack for the rpI for display?

I used adafruit screen and the hack there, and tweaked my settings

I still do not have my PocketCHIP yet, but NTC crew member telarium mentioned in another topic that the touchscreen calibration goes in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf. That makes me wonder if you might have better luck making a separate file just for the monitor and putting it into a file there, or in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/.

Also, my experience with systemd xorg.conf.d on my Raspberry Pi with a USB monitor make me unconvinced that it will work to put multiple monitor listings in one configuration file.

I will be glad when I can get mine, so I can look at all this stuff live and see where the heck they actually set things. You might consider looking at dmesg right after a reboot, or /var/log/everything.log if you have it. I know with the nonstandard monitor declaration on my Pi, I had to also give a device name so that xorg knew where to look for the monitor.

anyhow, I think the Device section needs to also list the name of the driver, as well as the device location do dmesg or logs provide easy to retrieve information about those?

Nope, but it will be implemented soon, hopefully, maybe.

I’ve been working with my Pocket CHIP with 4.4 for a few weeks now and have an issue with the Windows sizes.
One observation is I’ve been working with a tracking application Xastir and the developers of that app have designed it
for small screens. Can’t see all the menu items? One can hit a “tear off” and move the screen/menu item around.
One can re-position the screen to find the “next” or close buttons.

Now this doesn’t help with the native apps I know but another deficiency is any windows that come up can’t be moved around at times. I wouldn’t mind the large window with unseen parts if I could re-position it to what I need to see and to be able to make a choice or close the window. I’ve had to shut down and reboot sometimes. I need to be able to simply pair B/T peripherals and use X-windows and I’ve considered perhaps trying the Pocket CHIP firmware and install the xfce X-windows interface along with a Bluetooth setup GUI.

I suspect there are two Bluetooth setup interfaces in 4.4 that might be causing problems. I’ve recounted that in other threads.

One suggestion is move the menu/taskbar from the top of the screen to the bottom. I find it helps a bit.

Kurt

Ok, ok, ok, Found a posting here that suggested with oversized recalcitrant windows hold the “Alt” key, press and hold the left mouse button and the “stuck” window will “move” around. I’m getting to be a happier camper now.

Just get the B/T issue a little more manageable and I’ll be sitting pretty here! Kurt

You can also go alt+spacebar, then select “Move” or “Resize” and use the keyboard to move a window around…

It’s an ancient trick from the days of Windows 3.x…

I researched window managers for screen size issues. I settled on one with the best screen readability and wrote about it: Matchbox window manager on PocketCHIP. Works pretty well.