Hi there, I’ve been using my new pocketCHIP for a week or two, and am more or less happy with the hardware, (though would really like an SD Card slot, and plan to buy that Dip when I get the chance.) though feel the OS needs some serious changes, and have been working on sort of a personal wishlist. Figured I’d share it with others for commisseration or possible solutions. A little background first:
I’m an audio and graphics professional and musician with a wide range of interests. I like retro games, though don’t want to dedicate a system to that. Have done a lot of usability tech support and GUI design / product design, and have been building computers since childhood but not a coder. I wanted a linux box bc my main two systems are dedicated Windows machines, since I have to use a lot of Adobe stuff and dedicated recording peripherals. Dual boot not an option. My desktop also serves as a media server, though had it in the back of my mind to set up a headless media server with CHIP or something. Not a priority. I have installed and used ubuntu studio for a while, but that’s the extent of my Linux experience. I can manually edit the Windows registry however. My main purpose for this thing is as a linux sandbox and as a light laptop alternative / alternative creation / entertainment device. Would also love to use it like an ipod.
A few steps I have taken already: Installed Iceweasel, haven’t put it thru its’ paces or tried to watch youtube, etc. Installed VLC. Haven’t tested it yet. Ordered a pack of 3DS stylii and a bluetooth game controller. Have browsed through the system files but don’t know the Linux architecture and what files do what. Am prolly going to try and find some kind of book or video to help with that. (Also am a starving artist btw)
Here’s the list:
Wishlist for PocketCHIP:
- would be nice to ship the thing with a stylus socket that actually fits a widely available stylus snugly. I am going to try and make one horizontally between the battery and the CHIP. I imagine it wouldn’t cost much more to make the next production run with a built in stylus hole.
- Suspend/Sleep that doesn’t wake up upon screen touch!! (big one- This is making the sleep state pretty much worthless because if I put it in a pocket or bag, it wakes up. Also, I am noticing the sleep state consumes a good deal of battery life.
- hotkey to immediately suspend/sleep without exiting app, wakes up where it left off (Sleep is pretty much worthless to me if I’ve gotta go thru several steps to get there, end whatever I’m working on or playing.)
- hotkey to change volume without exiting app
- hotkey to change brightness without exiting app
- GUI should allow adding icons and multiple pages, nesting icons like a mobile phone (Could also handle a windows-styled interface)
- GUI allows tighter spaced icons
- some kind of time/ battery display viewable while in any app.
- battery display has more segments or numerical percentage.
- music player/library app like winamp, etc. Playable from keyboard buttons, possible to black out screen while in use.
- Rear LED turns off while screen is on, is less bright the rest of the time. - or can control rear LED somehow.
- second keyboard light over other side of keyboard. (integrate into new bezel?)
- hotkey to rotate the screen.
- Sketchbook pro app port- I love sketchbook pro and want it on my pocketchip, or something just like it. Manga Studio would be nice too but I imagine it’s got too many menu bars to be practical.
- DMX control app (I work with professional stage lighting sometimes and would realllllly reallllly like to use the Pocket to control them, so I don’t have to risk a $1200 laptop for the same application. I have seen those little usb/DMX adapters and could buy one of those, or could use the pin outs if I knew how. I do know how to solder cables. My expertise is more in audio though and I don’t know what DMX software is out there, if any, that runs on this OS.
- Would netflix or amazon prime work on this thing? That would be cool.
- protective front cover or case- I feel like this thing really needs a hard front cover, maybe with an accessory pocket or something too. I do have some fabrication skills, though not sewing. I have a couple friends who sew.
PICO-8: I know this isn’t the responsibility of NTC, but figured I would include these since there are probably many interested parties here.
- Save the state of the app before exiting, option to resume state - on-screen d-pad or touch controls for more games - mark stuff as tried/filters or search by genre - does the pico-8 art program work with stylus? - does p8 resolution match screen resolution? Can p8 be given larger pixels and expanded to edge of screen, or turned sideways?
I know that was super long, but that’s my two cents for now.