Package Updater stuck; not requesting authentication

Hi,
I’m new to chip, with some Linux experience.
I connected the Chip to my laptop following this guide: Setting up CHIP as a headless server with minimal tools.
Once I was logged in, I installed tightvncserver based on this guide: http://www.penguintutor.com/linux/tightvnc.
I then logged in to a GUI session from my laptop. I got a promp telling me there are 131 packages to update, so I went ahead and hit Update. I was prompted for user:chip’s password, I provided it, and the process began. After about 2 minutes. the chip turned off. I don’t know if it’s because the chip was overheating (it was warm, but not hot), or because it was drawing too much power from the laptop.

I then went and plugged it into a 2A wall charger, VNCed into it, and tried to install the updates. This time, I got an error message: Failed to process request: failed to obtain authentication. (And I was not prompted for a password).

What can I do in order to install the updates?

Thanks!

I resolved the issue (for now?) by running sudo apt-get update&&sudo apt-get dist-upgrade in the terminal.
Though I would still love to learn what I did wrong and how it can be fixed.

I’d suggest - via an SSH session or terminal window :

sudo apt-get purge pk-update-icon (this will stop the GUI updater)

Then :

sudo apt-get update

Then :

sudo apt-get upgrade

I’ve had problems with that GUI updater thingie… Personal choice I guess, but it’s one of the first things I remove when configuring a freshly flashed 4.4 GUI CHIP…

What’s the diff between “apt-get upgrade” and “apt-get dist-upgrade”?