PocketC.H.I.P.s Shipping On-Time & NAND Software Delays C.H.I.P.s Until Mid-October

Over the past month, we’ve been working to scale our manufacturing, strengthen our supply chain, and improve our shipping logistics. We’ve made enourmous progress but we still have a long way to go.

Lot’s of GOOD News & Some BAD News:

• We shipped 5658 pre-orders ahead of schedule.

• DHL test shipments went great! Feedback on delivery times and packaging have been very positive.

• 6,000+ PocketCHIP Pre-Orders are on schedule - pre-orders of PocketCHIPs without additional CHIPs will ship according to estimates. Final confirmation emails are going out this week.

• ~1,200 Pre-Order that include PocketC.H.I.P. and individual C.H.I.P. will ship in Mid-October. If you want your PocketC.H.I.P. sooner, contact Ahoyahoy@nextthing.co with your order number and we can refund the individual C.H.I.P. on your order and send out your PocketC.H.I.P. and other items ASAP.

• NAND Software Issues are Delaying Pre-Order C.H.I.P. Shipments Until Mid-October

What Happened to Our NAND?

Part of scaling our C.H.I.P. manufacturing process is adding support for new NAND flash storage parts to the storage drivers and filesystem in Linux. Adding support for more NAND flash parts from more vendors allows us to manufacture CHIP more reliably and produce units regardless of the available supply of any specific NAND part.

We’ve been working directly with the amazing team at Free Electrons, the Maintainers of both the Linux MTD subsystem and UBI Filesystem for the past three months to make sure C.H.I.P.s produced with our new Toshiba NAND will work as well or better than any C.H.I.P.s previously shipped.

On Thursday of last week, during our final QA process, we discovered a series of bugs relating to the new Toshiba NAND which significantly degrade performance and data storage integrity. As of today, we have paused C.H.I.P. manufacturing until we eliminate the remaining bugs and produce a reliable factory flashing image to support Toshiba NAND.

The team is working around the clock to make sure that our new NAND drivers can consistently and reliably read, write and maintain data on CHIP. We are planning to complete our NAND QA process and release a new factory image by Friday of this week, with manufacturing resuming shortly thereafter.

Based on this new information, we estimate we’ll begin shipping C.H.I.P.s again mid-October.

We realize this may be unacceptable to some. If your C.H.I.P. is part of a larger pre-order, you are welcome to request a partial refund for your C.H.I.P.(s), allowing the rest of your pre-order to ship according to our prior estimates.

We are more than happy to process either partial or full refund requests. Email ahoyahoy@nextthing.co with the email address used to place your preorder and order # and we’ll get it processing.

We can’t thank the community enough for your patience and continued support. Stay tuned, Much much more to come.

Dave & everyone at NTC

3133 Pre-Orders Shipping Now!
Best birthday gift from NTC
NTC improving NAND-on-Linux
What happens if I confirm my address too late?

This topic is now a banner. It will appear at the top of every page until it is dismissed by the user.

This topic is no longer a banner. It will no longer appear at the top of every page.

Thank you very much for the update even though I’m a recipient of the bad news.

So “resuming shortly thereafter” means after the month of September?

How long is ASAP? A few days, a few weeks? Are modified orders processed by when they were first submitted or when they were modified? (Does a modified pre-April 30 pre-order get processed before or after an unmodified June pre-order)

Also, will affected pre-order customers be notified by email, or do they need to check this board or contact NTC to get the bad news?

We have faith in you guys, glad you are making sure to get it right before it ships! Now, I need to wire some money to my Nigerian Prince (he’s a friend, long story). Cheers!

Okay delays are getting beyond the joke. It’s at this time we’re gunna want reward for our loyalty and not abandoning chip for another project. Perhaps an 8GB edition? I’m joking. But for those of us with extra coin you should offer us the chance the opportunity to pay say $18-$25 for a 8GB version. I know i’d pay for that right away without blinking.

It’s also down to the point i paid for a computer with the specs i could afford at the time and i’m going to get it so help me god. (Patience be on my side, although wearing thin.)

Presumably there’s some lag between the resumption of manufacturing and shipping.

My question: So this means the C.H.I.P.s in the PocketC.H.I.P. aren’t using the same NAND as the standalone units?

Make it work. I’ll wait. But hurry.

Note, the https://getchip.com/pages/chip webpage currently says “Entering Mass Production! Estimated Shipping October 2016”. This may need to updated so that new customers have a reasonable expectation.

The NTC team can likely take pride in a great number of accomplishments. Though some customers may have a different perspective on the metric of:[quote=“elevenarms, post:1, topic:9174”]
We shipped 5658 pre-orders ahead of schedule.
Is the “schedule” in the metric, the estimated shipping date on the webpage and confirmation at the time of the pre-order, or it is the last of multiple revised shipping dates after previous estimates were not met?

1. C.H.I.P. and/or other C.H.I.P. related goodies will be shipped out by June 2016.

2. Pre-orders are scheduled to begin shipping by order number on June 25th and continue through mid-July.

3. Pre-orders placed before APR 30 are estimated to ship by AUG 31.

4. Pre-orders with PocketC.H.I.P.s and/or accessories without standalone C.H.I.P.s are estimated to ship by mid September.
    Pre-orders with standalone C.H.I.P.s are estimated to begin shipping mid October.

Also with:

It seems some of the 3621 C.H.I.P.s shipped in the test went to fill May and June C.H.I.P. only orders. Now, for people who had orders that included C.H.I.P.s that were from before April 30 are not expected to get C.H.I.P.s until mid October.

The NAND problem wasn’t know at the time of DHL test, but there may be some customers (waiting since Feb? - Apr) now waiting yet an additional 6 weeks+ that don’t share in a highly positive assessment of the test.

So let me get this straight… on July 22nd, you gave this updated (estimated) schedule:

And today you’re saying none of these will ship until Mid October? Or do you mean that NEW orders will ship mid-october?

It almost seems that every time my pre-order is about to ship there’s a new delay.

There has to be more to the story than what you are telling us. I ordered mine (2 C.H.I.P.'s, one VGA and a case ) on March 22nd and a colleague ordered his the next day (without VGA). He received his order two weeks ago while I received the latest BAD NEWS email today. That makes me wonder if the NAND fiasco has anything to do with my order’s delay.

By the time I receive my order, I would be getting a product with dated specs. You leave me no choice but to cancel the order and look elsewhere for a compact embedded solution.

Your technology seemed promising at the time that I placed my order but your failure to properly manage production issues scares away any serious designer looking to use your technology in their product. What a shame.

Best of luck. You certainly need it.

I will reflash my CHIP on arrival regardless and according to your schedule by that time you will certainly have the driver ironed out. Can you proceed with the manufacturing of CHIP for those of us that will reflash and can then use the latest drivers?

There’s no breakdown given in the time from Friday Sep 2. through Mid October. From an early AUG post:

Without more info, there’s not much one can do to understand how they determined mid-October.

As to:

As I understand, the NAND problem is with the new 4 GB storage chips from a different vendor that they wanted/needed to start using with the new production of C.H.I.P.s going forward. The C.H.I.P.s that have been shipped already don’t use the new 4GB storage chip neither do the PocketC.H.I.P.s that have been produced thus far whether shipped or in inventory.

Once NTC’s current PocketC.H.I.P inventory is shipped out, they may need to switch to using C.H.I.P.s with the new storage chip and firmware fix

I have an order with a CHIP and PocketCHIP, but I don’t want to do a partial refund. Can I just pay for however much it is to ship the CHIP separately (whenever it’s ready) so that the rest of my order isn’t held up?

Thank you for keeping me informed. I have no problems with the delay and wish you success in finding the solution. If I could help, please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you for taking the time to make sure the quality is good, so many people today are far too careless.

Best Regards,
Josh Bensadon

Like @tve I believe I am also capable of flashing my own c.h.i.p. with whatever bugfixed factory image by the time it arrives. Would it be possible to go ahead and ship me a “buggy” chip along with my PocketCHIP immediately?