PocketC.H.I.P.s Shipping On-Time & NAND Software Delays C.H.I.P.s Until Mid-October

Wait, we know that they are not shipping plain C.H.I.P.s now (whether or not there are accessories in the order) because there are not any plain C.H.I.P.s to ship. Are you saying that they should NOT ship the PocketCHIPs that are ready to ship, because pre-orders for plain CHIPs that were placed before some of the PocketCHIPs have not been shipped yet?

They are filling all the orders they can, in the order the orders were placed, but only when there is product available to fill the orders, and when the customer has confirmed their shipping address at http://track.getchip.com. If someone waited until after there was no C.H.I.P. inventory available for shipping, to confirm their address, they will have to wait until the next run of C.H.I.P.s results in there being inventory for shipping out to them, even if they placed their order at the end of last year. My hunch is that those customers who placed their orders last November and December whose products have not shipped yet, failed to confirm their addresses in a timely basis. If they have confirmed their addresses before new C.H.I.P.s are ready for packing up to send out, they should be at the front of the queue.

Maybe NTC did not think about reserving some bare C.H.I.P.s for folks who had paid for their orders, but failed to confirm their addresses. That probably would be wise for them to do in the future. @howie what about that factor of holding product for at least some of these folks on the next round? I understand you might want to get all the product out the door that is possible as soon as possible, but it makes NTC look bad to those who ordered earlier and have to wait, even if it was because NTC needed address confirmation.

I’m pretty sure the reasoning behind shipping the PocketCHIPs that include working CHIPs is to get more of them out in the wild. NTC has stated their metrics indicate that most of the PocketCHIP backers/purchasers are new to Linux and SBCs in general. (paraphrasing this)

I think a majority of the people who have straight up CHIPs are more advanced users that can deal with the idiosyncrasies easier. I have to believe their metrics indicate that more current CHIP owners purchased more CHIPs than new users, so delaying someone who owns one seems like a better option to me. If I was them, I’d much rather get the PocketCHIPs out to the people who are new to the community. One, to help flesh out PocketCHIP issues and two, get those people hooked on more stuff.

This are just my thoughts while eating some PBJ at work.

@xtacocorex I honestly do not think that kind of favoritism is what has been going on. I think the primary factor in whether the C.H.I.P.s were flashed with C.H.I.P. or PocketC.H.I.P. images had to do with production factors and unexpected delays in parts that surfaced after the flashing. For folks who do not know, the regular C.H.I.P.s and PocketC.H.I.P.s are flashed with totally different versions of the operating system, the latter optimized for PocketCHIP hardware, with a lot of software that appears on the factory flashed C.H.I.P.s not being included. For them to have to reflash the C.H.I.P.s that were already flashed with PocketCHIP images, with the other C.H.I.P. images, once the NAND issues resulting in the current delay surfaced, would have been crazy.

I think another factor going on here, with people disbelieving that NTC is reputable, forthright, company, is that folks for whom English is their native language may have an easier time trusting NTC despite the delays, because we can understand the subleties of the language in the NTC posts here, and understand their honesty. A lot of idioms and other language usage subtleties will get lost in translation, and result in a lack of trust at a basic gut level.

Good points! Thanks for bringing me back to ground on things; there is a definite lack of coffee on my end.

English is not my native language, and I trust NTC! :thumbsup:
In my case, though, it has to be that I understand the complexities of manufacturing, and that I’m not an anxious person, so I’m not in a hurry at all, and not influenced by my own anxiety. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn’t see the screenshot I uploaded or the /s which is generally used to denote sarcasm. In any case I was merely joking about the “evidence” pe1ago posted.

In fact my pocketchip has just shipped so I’d be an idiot to complain about them shipping them.

To lie implies an intent to deceive. Have they actually lied, or just been wrong?

If i dont get my chip come october i’ll just forget this even happened, and focus on my new project. (hp 15-g026au rebuild)

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity” - Hanlon’s razor

Well I just ordered my stand alone, until then planning and building chip arcade !

Edit I forgot to order a cable for it or a hdmi dip :sob:

I got my PINE on time (mostly) and gave it away. On time but not usable isn’t worth the trouble.

I plan on buying more once I get some CHIPs to play with.

You are right, I had no idea that “/s” meant you were being sarcastic, and yes, I primarily view the bbs using a text browser. For those of us on slow connections, going without images is essential. While I had to scroll past your image to find the reply button (Discourse will not allow logging in from text browsers), nothing I saw when I did that told me you were waiting for a pocketCHIP. And I thought your “/s” was a typo, sorry, it is something I have never seen anywhere else.

@BigBadHodad: if you just placed that order recently, within the last couple of days, and forgot something, maybe it might make sense to just cancel it and place another order with everything you want in it?

Im in no hurry, ill probably order what i need closer to release,

@sdjf Oh I never thought about the fact that some of us are using a text browser. Rereading my last comment I’ve realised it come across as somewhat rude which was not my intention. Sorry about that.

@FVEY thanks, that is okay. I just figured maybe you did not know what “benefit of the doubt” meant (although maybe you do). But in my other post, I also needed to make sure that anyone reading your /s comment literally would have the facts straight. I would guess I am not the only one who does not know all the current abbreviations folks use, and that some CHIPsters read the bbs using a translation engine, and have to guess what things really mean.

Wanted to apologize for my comments in thinking NTC would prioritize shipments to newer users. I’ve been off my game the last week or so, brain is definitely a mess. Sorry @elevenarms for my comments.

I do know what it means, but I will definitely agree that I misused it in that post. At the time I was struggling to think of the right words, and settled on something that was less than perfect.

As for the /s, I sometimes forget not everybody uses Reddit.

And even daily Reddit users like myself don’t necessarily visit subs where the use of “/s” is common. The internet is mindbogglingly large.

I have received all four of my Chips, and no, I do not have, nor did I order a Pocket Chip. 4 chips, 1 VGA dip and 1 HDMI dip.

My order was shipped from Hong Kong, I am just next door in Taiwan, but after 2 weeks my package is now in Belgium?!