The New and Improved Flasher!

Thanks to wonderful work from @howie and @nayru, we’ve released a new and improved Flasher. It has a new look with more details and provides a better flashing experience across operating systems.

Open a new Chrome window and check it out for yourself at flash.getchip.com or flash.getchip.com/pro. Please post any feedback below!

Stay tuned for more updates soon regarding shipping, C.H.I.P. Pro availability, and Gadget!

\ (•◡•) / - everyone at ntc

Flasher Version 5.0.0 - Release Notes

New Look and Feel

• Flashing progress now appears in a notification window as well as the Flasher page.
  • You can mouse-over to switch between the C.H.I.P. Pro and Dev Kit animations.

Setup Instructions

• Keeps track of setup for streamlined use.

• Windows driver no longer requires a reboot to install.

Flashing

• Improved OS support for Windows 7 and 10; OSX 10.11 and 10.12.3; and Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04.
  • Added more detailed instructions, error handling, and failure reporting.
  • Flasher tests for FEL connectivity before starting the process.

• Flasher now verifies Fastboot connectivity on C.H.I.P. and PocketC.H.I.P. images.

• C.H.I.P. Pro skips NAND detection step for faster flashing.

• More detailed error messages with possible causes.

• Faster downloads and flashes thanks to compressed image files.

Misc

• You can download and browse images without plugging in an NTC device.

• Flasher no longer tries to poll for a C.H.I.P. in the background unless user is engaging with it.

• No longer need to stop/restart the web app after errors.

• Version checking ensures the web and chrome app are in sync.

You listened!!!

Thank you NTC!

Great job guys!

As I’ve commented several times, your success (where other SBCs apart from mainly Raspberry Pi failed) is being able to create a strong community and listening to the feedback.

Cheers,

Iker.

I just wondered where you ran off to for so long @dcschelt; I’ve missed your telling us the blog got updated. :slight_smile:

The new flasher looks nice! Will probably test it out on a CPro in the coming days.

I’ve been busy working on something super fun… :zipper_mouth: for now.

My thoughts on the Silence (They're all positive thoughts!)

I found that a reboot was needed on my win10 machine before i could flash. Other than that, it was a great experience, and very appreciated that we can access the image files over at flash.getchip.com/ls

Sweet I’ll try it out asap

Ooh… I’m going to be glued to the blog and the BBS for a while then… I want to see what it is. :joy:

PS, thanks, guys, for listening to everyone. This is a sign of a great company.

And thanks @Howie and @nayru as well.

squeals like a little girl

EEEK! GADGET!

just tried it on an alpha, it gets to resetting to FEL and it tells me it failed and I unplugged it, could it be that NAND problem the alphas had? I cannot recall how to fix that, though it could be my USB port.

Hmm… could be your USB port… although I haven’t tried the new flasher tonight. (I need to use it anyways, I need to reflash my Alpha.) What type of port is it? 2.0? 3.0?

I also look forward to testing this when i get time, thank you for the updated flasher.

A request that has been asked multiple times, can you develop a clone tool. So we can duplicate one chip to another.

Currently i write bash scripts for my setups and re-run it on each unit… this would save some people some time and allow them to clone a old chip they have no idea what they did to the original setup

It’s a 3.0 but I’ve had no trouble with flashing from it before Lenore thrice Stanford once and alpha one once( zordon if the one that won’t flash)

I just tried flashing my Alpha with a 3.0 port, and it didn’t work. It worked first time with a 2.0.

Weird guess some are more groovy with 3.0, guess I’ll look for a 2.0 hub tomorrow

I don’t know if it’ll help, but it might help if it’s powered, depending on your computer.

Flashed my PocketCHIP this morning, ZERO issues! Nice work!!!

Update: one my CHIPs became unresponsive (Toshiba NAND)…

Refused to come up as a gadget - no longer appeared on wifi… Not sure what happened… I’d added a “tiny” 32 GB thumb drive and was copying stuff off it to my NAS when it stopped responding…

Anyway - I flashed it - and the process worked flawlessly! More intuitive than the old interface too…

Up and running again in no time…

I’m not too bothered about losing data - it’s maybe about 15 minutes slogging around in the CLI to get a CHIP up and doing what I need it to do after flashing :

1. wifi
  2. change hostname and add users and change passwords and update sudoers
  3. update repos, upgrade and install other packages I need

I kinda think of it like cloud servers (e.g. in Amazon AWS) - treat your O/S as disposable and ephemeral - your data should be elsewhere… 15 minutes isn’t too long all things considered - but I guess if I was doing it every 2nd day it would become painful - I guess I need to get off my arse and delve further into provisioning with stuff like ansible…

Anyway - this particular CHIP was previously “genbu”, and I was intending to use it as a sort of pentesting/wifi AP doovilacky, kinda like the USB Armory… So I’now ve got it with a battery, a 16 GB thumb drive, inside a TicTac lolly (Aussie for “candy”) box and then that inside a black sunglasses “bag”… I was thinking of adding a speaker in there - because the whole thing reminded me of those “lame” “laughing bag” gimmick toys that were all the rage in the early 1970s (basically a “device” inside a drawstring bag that when you shook it or squeezed it - it made laughing noises)…

Offtopic, but…, I would definitely recommend learning some sort of automation tool. Ansible is my favourite, although I also know puppet and cfengine.

I should set up some Ansible tasks to configure a CHIP for me, the sorts of things you mentioned… Then I would just need to bring it up on the network and…

I’ve done a fair amount of work with Puppet in the past - including some stuff from scratch (and did the three day course they “offer” [work paid for it] in 2012)… Recently did some work with Ansible (mostly already setup playbooks).

I love the simplicity and serverless methodology of Ansible… Having a Puppet server at home just seems like overkill…

My chip still doesn’t work :confused: